Urogynecology, commonly known as Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS), is the study and treatment of pelvic floor abnormalities in women.These disorders affect a woman’s sexual, bowel, and urinary function, impacting her quality of life. Urogynecologists are specialized doctors who treat women with pelvic problems and offer them a range of treatments and interventions to improve their health and general well-being. This article will explore urogynecologists’ benefits and their role in women’s overall health.
Understanding Pelvic Floor Disorders
Pelvic floor disorder (PFD) is a term used to describe a range of conditions that can affect the muscles that support pelvic organs like the bladder and uterus. These disorders can occur due to several factors, including childbirth: hormonal changes, lifestyle, and genetics. There are several types of PFDs.
- Incontinence Urinary: Involuntary urine leakage occurs when you cough, sneeze, or laugh, even while exercising.
- Pelvic Organs: Prolapse is the descent or bulging out of pelvic tissues into vaginal canals due to weakening pelvic floor ligaments and muscles.
- Ficular Incontinence: The inability of the bowel to be controlled, which results in uncontrollable leakage or feces.
- Pelvic Ache: Recurrent or persistent pain in the area of the pelvis. This can be due to musculoskeletal problems, nerve conditions, or inflammation.
Pelvic-floor disorders can negatively impact a woman’s social, emotional, and physical health. Women may be unable to engage in daily activities or sexual intimacy. They may also have difficulty participating in social and leisure activities. Women may feel embarrassed due to this condition. They might also experience feelings of shame or a lower quality of living. Urogynecologists can diagnose these disorders and treat them effectively.
Benefits of Urogynecologists
Urogynecologists work in the field of female pelvic medicine. Their knowledge and expertise allow them to diagnose and treat pelvic floor disorders. Here are a few of the benefits urogynecologists can provide to women’s overall health.
- Specialized Expertise: Urogynecologists go through additional years of education beyond general obstetrics to gain a specialization in female pelvic health and reconstructive surgery. They are experts in the anatomy of the female uterine floor and its physiology. Their expertise allows for comprehensive care of women with complex pelvic floor conditions, as well as accurate diagnoses and treatment plans.
- Comprehensive Evaluation: Urogynecologists will conduct a thorough evaluation to assess a woman’s entire pelvic health. The urogynecologists will perform a comprehensive physical examination and take detailed notes. They may also order further tests or imaging studies to pinpoint the exact cause of a patient’s symptoms. The comprehensive evaluation allows urogynecologists to provide personalized and tailored treatment plans tailored to a women’s specific needs.
- Multidisciplinary Approach: Urogynecologists often collaborate closely with other healthcare professionals, such as urologists, Gastroenterologists, and physical therapists to provide multidisciplinary management of pelvic problems. This collaborative treatment approach ensures that every aspect of a woman’s pelvic condition and a personalized treatment plan are addressed.
This article is intended to provide the necessary information for making an informed decision when searching for a urogynecologist in Houston. To make an informed decision when selecting a doctor or a specialist for your specific needs, you should first be well-informed and familiar with all the available options. Houston is regarded as one of the top medical cities in America. You can find a variety of urogynecologists to work with and provide personalized care.